Monday, February 20, 2012

Rocking a steady boat

For more than ten years, I've always imagined I'd have a little girl someday named Lauren Elizabeth. I saw a big smile with dimples, big blue eyes and long blond hair that she'd let me brush every night while we giggled before bedtime. I imagined watching her dance and sing. I imagined that we'd laugh like crazy and even get along during those awkward and hormonal teenage years. (Yes, I realize that makes me incredibly naive!)

But God had a different plan (He often does!). You see, He blessed my amazing husband and I with three beautiful, amazing, "energetic" boys. ; ) Then, due to a genetic condition that caused cysts to accumulate on my ovaries, I had to have an early hysterectomy. (By the way, I apologize for ever thinking menopause seemed much ado about nothing....it's rough! : ) I sighed, packed up all our baby things and donated them. I shed a tear or two, but felt blessed that I'd been able to give birth to our three sons before having to have the surgery.

But you know, God kept putting family after family in our path who had adopted. And not just adopted, but had the most wonderful stories of love and blessing and success in their adoptions. It's essentially been like a happy parade of poster familes for joys of adoption! That's not to say that these wonderful families in our lives haven't had some, shall we say, overwhelmingly stressful hurdles and heartaches throughout their adoption processes--but they refused to let any of it dampen their joy and hope, and their lives are all the more fuller for it. In fact, Andy and I believe that we've been privy to both the ups and downs of the process in order that we might be educated and prepared for however our own story might unfold. (Plus, my adoptive mommy friends tell me adoption is great, no weight gain or stretch marks! : )

Andy and I had had the idle conversation once or twice about whether or not we'd ever adopt, but it never seemed to form into a concrete idea or plan. The past 6 months something changed, and we started talking about it more. Before, we'd never had quite the same level of conviction and enthusiasm at the same time. Then one day last month it became "Let's start filling out paperwork. Like, now." We have several adoptive friends eagerly cheering us on, saying "It's about time you got your little girl!" Well, we think so too! Our sons are thrilled about adopting a baby sister, which makes us wonder if they're planning any hijinks we should be concerned about... : )

But hey, adoption is expensive. I mean, our daughter's clothing budget alone is going to be enormous, let alone all the fabulous pink, frilly things we need to buy for her nursery. ; )  We're a military family of five on one salary. We're content. Why do anything to rock a steady boat? This is going to complicate things. Probably more that we realize.

But if you know us, you'd know that our married life has been sort of a whirlwind from the words "I now pronounce you husband and wife." We barely survived our honeymoon in Cancun due to the world's worst and ill timed stomach flu. (Oh, do I have stories about that inglorious week!) We graduated from college, had a baby, joined the Navy and moved three times before we'd been married 18 months. We've lived in 5 states, done 4 duty stations, survived 3 deployments, and owned 2 homes....but no partridge. Yet. ; )

We are going to adopt because we have love. And laughter. And joy. And faith. Because there are girls thrown away in countries where they're not valued or wanted. Because they have value to us. Because God, for some reason, has put the desire firmly in us to open our hearts and home to an orphan waiting for a family. Because I need another female in the house to commiserate with about the unique experience of living with boys. ; )

It makes my heart hurt more than I can describe to think of underprivileged children waiting for basic necessities, let alone a family. But I have a suspicion that our daughter will bless us in more ways than we could ever hope to bless her. Love does that sometimes.

She's going to have three big brothers to love and protect her. A strong, loving father that's an expert marksman with both pistol and rifle. ; ) And a mother that doesn't need the blond hair or blue eyes, but would be overjoyed to brush her hair every night while we giggle. And I hope she does love to sing and dance, but if she prefers to draw or throw the ball I'll still watch with amazement and pride. I do hope she likes pink...just a little! That will help me get through those tempestuous teenage years!

Our house is going to be more crowded, and there's going to be less disposable income and more mess.....but the way I see it, the crazier it gets, the more I get to rely on God and not myself.

We are going to do some fundraising for our daughter's adoption. If you can help, that's wonderful. We're ever so grateful! We'll have details later if you can help.
I don't have a picture of her, but I'm sure she's beautiful. We can't wait to see how all this unfolds, so stay tuned!

Love,
Kelly
mother, and adoptive mother-in-waiting

No comments:

Post a Comment